Suggested Courses for “Pre-Med” Computational Biology Majors
Carnegie Mellon University offers a “Health Professions Program” (HPP) for undergraduate students who are interested in entering medical school upon graduation. We developed the computational biology major with the thinking that our students would be very well positioned for MD or MD/PhD programs as the doctors of the future.
Please consult individual programs for individual course requirements. Please consult the HPP homepage and the HPP student advisor for current course requirements, as well as for information about additional programs such as Dentistry, Podiatry, and Optometry. Below, we indicate some suggested coursework for computational biology majors interested in the Allopathic and Osteopathic Medicine program (i.e., “Pre Med”).
The following courses are required for both the HPP program and the computational biology major and will automatically be completed by students completing the major.
- 03-121 (Modern Biology)
- 03-231 or 03-232 (Biochemistry)
- 09-105 (Introduction to Chemistry)
- 21-120 (Calculus I)
- 21-122 (Calculus II: Integration, Diff Equations & Approximation)
- 33-121 or 33-141 (Physics I)
- 76-101 (Interpretation & Argument)
The following required HPP courses should be taken to count as an elective for the computational biology program.
- 85-102 (Introduction to Psychology) or 85-241 (Social Psychology): counts as a “Category 1” (Cognition, Choice and Behavior) Humanities & Arts elective
- 76-XXX: Any English course at the 200-level or higher that falls in the acceptable menu of “Category 3” (Cultural Analysis) Humanities & Arts electives
- Introduction to sociology: counts as a free Humanities & Arts elective. Students may consider taking this for transfer credit.
- 09-217 (Organic Chemistry I): counts as the required biology elective for computational biology majors.
Finally, the following courses will be unique to the HPP program and should be taken as free electives by computational biology majors.
- 42-202 (Physiology)
- 03-343 (Experimental Techniques in Molecular Biology)
- 09-106 (Modern Chemistry II)
- 09-207 (Chem Lab: Techniques in Quantitative Analysis)
- 09-218 (Modern Chemistry II)
- 09-208 (O-Chem Lab: Techniques for Organic Synthesis & Analysis)
- 33-122 or 33-142 (Physics II)
- 33-100 (Physics Lab: Basic Experimental Physics)